The value of ultrasound guidance in embryo transfer
The procedure of the embryo transfer is of vital importance for a successful outcome after IVF treatment. Therefore, a careful and atraumatic embryo transfer in skilled and experienced hands can maximize the chances of pregnancy.
The advantages of ultrasound guidance during embryo transfer include:
- It facilitates the entrance of soft catheters in the uterine cavity
- It confirms that the catheter is located past the inner opening of the cervix
- Facilitates the direction of the catheter inside the uterine cavity avoiding trauma
- A full bladder aligns the uterus giving a clearer ultrasound image
- Visualize the exact location for depositing the embryos
Future studies and improved methods of guidance (3D and 4D ultrasound), as well as more research on the optimal location inside the uterine cavity to deposit the embryos may increase IVF success rates.